Friday, February 24, 2012

Weighty Matters

I will never be skinny again like I was about 20 years ago. I have made my peace with that and I am OK with it. It would just be too much work and too hard to maintain. And basically, I don't really care to try.
But I am UNcomfortable in my own skin and I am realistic about the fact that I do need to lose about 40lbs. You know how people have body-image issues and they see themselves as much bigger than they really are?  Well,  I'm always thinking that I am smaller than I am and then when I catch a glimpse of my reflection in a window or a store mirror, I am always shocked back to reality. It's not a pretty picture.

I know there are some good weight loss programs out there, Weight Watchers in particular has a proven track record and they do emphasis healthy eating with everything in moderation. And there are other programs that I don't know a lot about, but particular celebrities tout them on TV and seem to have had good results. So there are a lot of options.

My biggest problem with programs like that is I don't want to count points, have special foods delivered to my home or never eat bread again.  I have tried the WW program and had some success, but with counting the points and having to plan every morsel you put in your mouth, I felt like I was having to THINK about food ALL the time. I personally know people who have done really good on it, and you would think that as much as I like rountine it would be a good plan for me. But it's not. I actually like to be wild and crazy with my food choices, well, maybe spontaneous is more like it.

I don't like "diet" foods, they are usually filled with lots of sodium and too processed and the ingredient list looks like something from a chemistry lab.  Also, I try never to eat artificial sweetners if I can help it. I personally don't think they are safe or healthy for you. I very seldom eat fast food, I like lots of fruits and veggies and I like to fix lots of homemade foods, cookies, cakes, breakfast muffins, bread, granola, pizza, etc. One of my favorite books is "In Defense Of Food" by Michael Pollan, about the food industry. His mantra is "if your grandmother doesn't recognize anything on the ingredient list, don't eat it". He also says, "eat (real) food, not too much, mostly plants". That's why I try to stay away from a lot of processed foods like packaged diet foods. I know, of course, that you can still eat a lot of fresh foods, especially on the new WW points plan.

I think my biggest problem is portion control and lack of exercise. I really do try to eat healthy most of the time, of course I do have my moments of indulgence. A couple of years ago I read "French Women Don't Get Fat". It was about how a lot of French women and actually most European women don't have a weight problem. They ususally shop every couple of days for fresh ingredients for their meals. And mealtime is a celebration, they linger over meals, take their time and enjoy the experience and conversation with family and friends. They don't eat in their car like we tend to do. If they eat a decadent dessert, it is usually a small portion but it is of the highest quality with fresh, whole ingredients. And they walk a lot. Of course European cities are more compact and more "walkable" than here in the US where we are spread out and connected by expressways.

But my point is that I want to be more like that. I want to eat good food, smaller amounts and walk and maybe even bike more (of course, now being "carless" will help with that). I want to get more activity into my daily routine and of course more dancing. I want to learn portion control, but still be able to make a meal a good experience. When the farmer's markets open in the spring there will be so many good fruits and veggies to really enjoy.  I am walking almost an hour a day now with the dog, but I need more activity. So this will be my challenge for the next few months. I would like to lose 20lbs by June l. I want it to be a slow process so the likely hood of maintaining will be better. It's about changing your life style not just go on a diet.

Wish me luck, I will keep you updated on my progress and my mistakes, which I'm sure there will be plenty of! I will share some of my favorite recipes and meal ideas with you all. I want to be comfortable in my skin again and be healthier also because I plan to live to be 100!!

Here's to the first 20!!!

Kathy

Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment