Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Squirrels vs Me

Those dastardly squirrels have been at it again. I came home from work today and went in the backyard, walked to the side of the house to make sure the gate was closed so Lola wouldn't get out and there it was......mocking me....my biggest, green tomato. The one I said I might pick to make fried green tomatoes.

I wish I had taken a picture of it where I found it. It felt like the squirrels were taunting me, daring me to do something about it. But here is a picture of it after I brought it up to the deck.


I must say that this picture doesn't do it justice, doesn't look as mocking as it looked where it was originally sitting, but it hurts none the less.


Even the top had little bite marks on it, like the "little fella" was taste testing to make sure he wanted this one. 

I went over and looked at the tomato plant to see if this really was the one I thought it was. It was. And then I saw it......


This much smaller tomato that was on the vine right next to the big one........and it had been taste tested too.


.......in two different spots AND it was still hanging on the vine!!!!! That little son of a ..........gun.
This is a declaration of war. But what can I do, I can't sit outside and watch all day, I could put chicken wire around them....if I had any.

Then I remembered something I had seen online, a helpful hint on how to keep squirrels (those cute furry creatures) off of the tomatoes.


This or.........


......this, hot sauce or cayenne pepper.

I read that if you put some of either of these on the actual tomatoes, the squirrels won't like it and stay away and then it just washes off of the tomatoes without harming them or leaving a taste.

So tonight I watered all my plants, made sure that the tomatoes themselves were wet and then I sprinkled the cayenne pepper on them. They aren't covered but hopefully there is enough that it will get on their cute little paws and when they go to lick it off......SHAZAAAM....their mouth is lit up!! And if they're brave enough to take a big ol bite they will get another big surprise. I don't want to hurt them, just give them a stern warning to stay away from my 'maters.

Here little squirrely squirrely.............


Kathy








No comments:

Post a Comment