Saturday, July 6, 2013

My New Fascination

I've always enjoyed cooking, soups, stews, casseroles, etc, etc.....from scratch.  But now all of a sudden I'm fascinated with pies. I think after making that peanut butter pie last week, it peaked my interest. And then coincidently, last week I was watching a movie on Lifetime about this woman who made pies. The movie was a lot more than about her making pies, it was about love and growing up and being confident, yada, yada,. yada. But she would go quiet all of a sudden because she was making up a pie in her mind. If made me wonder if I could make up flavor of pies. Or anything else for that matter.

Oh, I've always tweeked recipes that I use, adding some seasoning the I liked that may not be in the recipe, switched around different meats or veggies in soups or casseroles to better fit my taste. But I'm wondering if I could make up completely original recipes and how do you know that it's completely original and not something you've heard or read about sometime in the past?

 I do have a couple of ideas already for a couple of savory dishes. but right now I'm fascinated with pies, pies, pies. Baking, unlike cooking where you can improvise, is an exact science where the measurements of ingredients need to be fairly exact. I made a pie today, a buttermilk pie. It's not my recipe, I saw it on Facebook and thought it looked delicious. But I will say that I made the crust from scratch. It's the first time ever that I've made homemade pie crust (the pastry kind, not the graham cracker kind). I must say that it turned out pretty good, the crust that is. And of course the pie was good too, but I'm waiting on my "pie tester" to give me her review.


It was so easy to make, actually the crust took longer to make than the filling. For the filling all you do is mix together the following ingredients.

1/2 cup buttermilk
1-3/4 cup of sugar
2 eggs
3 tbls. of flour
pinch of salt
1 stick of melted butter
1 tsp. of vanilla
nutmeg

Mix all ingredients together, except nutmeg, pour into a 9-in pie crust and lightly sprinkle the nutmeg on top.

Bake at 400 degrees for 15min the turn the over down to 350 and bake for another 45 minutes. Let cool for a couple of hours before cutting.



I've got an idea for an original pie....it involves a sugar cookie crust and nutella. I'm still working on it.

The recipe for the crust that I made said it can also be used to make cobblers, pot pies, etc. I would like to make a homemade pot pie when the weather changes in the Fall. But for now I'm fascinated with pies and more pies. I hope I can finish coming up with an original pie recipe and if I do, you will be the first to know.


Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment