Thursday, May 31, 2012

Grandma's Recipe Box

After my grandma passed away some years back, I kept her recipe box, mostly just for sentimental reasons. But also, she use to make this homemade bread that was soo good. It was just a little bit sweet, dense, and was so good with her homemade jelly on it and I just remember loving it. I found the recipe in the box, it was apparently a recipe that she cut out of the newspaper. I haven't tried making it yet, but I am anxious to try it. 

 She had written most of her recipes on index cards with dates and sometimes comments on how good it was or wasn't.  In the back of the small box are blank cards. As I was looking through the box the other day I noticed that in back of the blank cards there were quite a few cards with "household tips" written on them. As I was reading through them, they sounded so quaint and somewhat old fashioned and I loved them. I am going to share some of them with you. You might even learn a thing or two.

Notice the date. I just think that this is so cute. I am going to have to try this tip. Sometimes the old-fashioned remedies are the best.




I'm sure this tip was born from living during the depression, never waste anything. Waste not..want not. I remember when having your rooms wallpapered was the thing to do. Lordy, I remember some of the "floweredy" designs.







I can't imagine how this would "renew" a safety pin, other than to grease it up so it will go in better. But I just thought it was kind of cute.




Not many people have plaster walls anymore except in some older homes. Two of my rooms have plaster walls, so this tip might just come in handy.



I

I'm going to definitly try this, especially when I keep a cut up onion in a plastic bowl overnight. It takes forever to get the onion smell out, so this tip will come in handy.


I hope you have enjoyed these little old school tips from 50 plus years ago. I'll post some more of these tips in the future. I just love them. They really do remind me of my grandma.



RECIPE OF THE DAY:

Here is the bread recipe I was talking about, if you make it let me know how it turns out. I will eventually get around to trying it.

Kathy



No comments:

Post a Comment