Monday, June 4, 2012

Passage

Well, high school graduation is over, done, finito. After 12 years of school, tests, homework, sports, practices, Friday night football games and proms, my son has graduated from high school. Last Friday afternoon as all the graduates marched into the auditorium, I couldn't help but remember all those things. It almost seems like yesterday when he started pre-school and was so shy he wouldn't talk or look at anyone. He even had his friend in class answer for him when the teacher called on him.

I thought about all the basketball, baseball and football practices that I sat through during those school years. Even though I can't say that I miss sitting through those, I remember them fondly and I always loved going to the games. I also recalled all the school programs, plays and Christmas programs during elementary school and how much fun those were.

Then there was the struggle to get him into a "traditional" middle school after his private elementary school closed. We were put on a waiting list and didn't know for sure that he got in until a week before school started. Then there was the worry about starting high school becausse rumor was this school with it's "traditional" program was strict (which is a good thing), high expectations (also a good thing) and LOTS of homework. But it was all good, he did really well and passed with flying colors.

All these things were going through my head as I proudly watched him march up the aisle, of course he was looking up at his friends who had come to cheer him on....with signs....and horns. Boys will be boys.




That evening the school sponsored a lock-in with lots of food, games and prizes, as a alternative to keep everyone safe on graduation night. I really liked that plan because how many times do you hear of tragic accidents happening on that night....far too many.

The rest of the weekend he and his friends traveled from one graduation party to another. I think they realize that some of these people will still be in their lives and some of them they may never see again. One of the students gave a speech at the ceremony and it was very moving. He talked about how they were adults now, no more school uniforms, no more morning announcements or warning bells to get to your seats. No more curfews (the parents in the audience commented with a resounding "I don't think so"). He told them that their passage through life was changing to a new direction now, they had to take control of their future. And the best part of his speech was he told his mom, with a trembling voice, how much he loved her.

So my son will be going to community college and still living at home this fall, but there is a definite shift in our relationship, for the good, but one that is hard for me to come to terms with. Of course he is still under my roof and they will be rules, but I know I have to let him spread his wings, make (most) of his own decisions and be there when he needs my advice, help and support.

This raising kids stuff is hard.......but well worth the trouble.

Kathy

1 comment:

  1. Kathy, You sound like a wonderful mom and I know your son loves you very much as well. He's lucky to have you. Good luck and enjoy the ride.

    ReplyDelete