Friday, April 27, 2012

Senior Prom

Tomorrow night is my son's senior prom, wow, time sure flies I can't believe that it's already here and graduation is in a month. He's picked up his tux, ordered the flowers, made reservations for dinner, I think he's growing up!

Of course, there is the question of the party after the prom. Apparently the plan is to go back to one of his friend's house and have a little celebration, I'm told the parents will be there. He's never given me reason to not trust him, so I believe that is will be all OK. I've given all the usual intructions...no drinking...no drugs...no sex, and make sure your date gets home on time. I think I'll be glad when it's over, I know that sounds bad but I still worry. After he leaves tomorrow evening I am going out for margaritas with some friends, several margaritas!!

I feel like this is a turning point. A turning point for my son, who is technically an adult, but still has some growing up to do. I've told him I won't consider him an adult until he can wake up with his alarm, instead of sleeping through it or turning it off in his sleep and never waking up, making me have to wake him up. Generally he is becoming more responsible, making his own decisions (with some advice from me), and when he has a problem, telling me "I'll figure it out".

It's also a turning point for me, going from "raising" him to more of offering guidance and/or advice and letting him figure it out. So my margaritas tomorrow night will be start out being a little sad at the realization that my role is changing but also excitement at the possibilites of it all.

My senior prom was quite the adventure. There were four of us couples going together, two couples in each car. I rode with my friend Sara, she drove her yellow falcon because her date didn't have his license yet. We all met at Julie's house and she was the one who was supposed to sneak a pint of whiskey in so we could spike our drinks. Well, when we got to her house she had already drank all the whiskey and was feeling no pain. We were all so mad at her, but there was nothing we could do about it so off to the prom we went. Things went downhill from there. Julie and her boyfriend were pretty good dancers, but poor Julie kept falling all over the dance floor because she was drunk, so her boyfriend was getting mad at her. Sara and I had to keep watching out for her and at one point she went to the restroom, sat down on the floor in the stall with her back up against the door. Sara and I kept trying to get her to stand up so we could get her back to the table, all the while the security guard kept coming in to see what the problem was. We were able to convince her that everything was fine.

We finally got her out and back to the table, but we had to follow her around the rest on the evening, to keep her out of trouble and from saying inappropriate things, loudly. Needless to say, the next day her boyfriend broke up with her and she was devasted.....and really, really hungover. That was my senior prom experience. Of course, my son doesn't need to know anything about this story....until he is like 30yrs. old.
The moral of that story is that your senior prom is not the be all/end all of your life, life does go on, but have fun and be safe.

Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment