Sunday, April 15, 2012

5 things.......To Be Thankful For.....

Of course, there are so many things to be thankful for and many obvious things to give thanks for. But I'd like to go down a different road to name some the less obvious.

1. Although I am starting off with an obvious thanks for bringing my son home from his spring break trip. He had a great time and came back tanned and rested and full of new experiences. I was just grateful he didn't drown or starve to death. I was surprised that he actually tried a new food, and trust me that is a REAL big deal, being he is the pickiest eater on earth. He said he tried crocodile bites, similiar to chicken nuggets, and he liked them. When I asked him why he tried them, his reply was "why not". Now this is the same child I have been begging for 18 yrs. to try different foods, but he wouldn't because he didn't like it without even trying it. And now with CROCODILE he says why not!!! Trust me, I will be using this information in the future.

2. I am thankful for BravoTV. Yes, yes, yes, I do watch some reality TV, not all of it, but I do like some and I make no apologies for it. I'm a big Real Housewives fan, Top Chef, Million Dollar Listing NY, and a few others. Now I don't spend all my time watching these shows, but they are harmless entertainment when I don't want to have to think about what I am watching.  Plus, when there is nothing else on, you can always count of BravoTV for some drama!!!

3. I am thankful for chocolate chip ice cream. I love me some ice cream, but I will definitely say that chocolate chip is my absolute favorite. Rich creamy vanilla ice cream with big chips, chunks or shavings, it doesn't matter, I love it!! When I was a kid, my grandmother would give me maple nut ice cream when I was at her house and I sure did love that ice cream. And if I could find that flavor of ice cream again, I would probably change my mind and make chocolate chip my second favorite. I use to be able to find maple nut ice cream way back when Ehrlers Dairy was still in business. When we were growing up, we use to eat ice cream every evening as a snack before bedtime, and I still do that to this day. Ice cream is a glorious thing.

4. I am thankful for flannel sheets. They are the best thing since sliced bread. It is like sleeping in a big ol flannel shirt. I put my flannel sheets on the bed at the first hint of cooler weather in the fall, and don't take them off (of course I wash them throughout the winter) for good until there is not a hint of frosty weather anymore. I still have them on the bed now because there have been some pretty cool nights and I think there are still some more to come. Maybe I will be able to take them off in May. Just thinking about them makes me feel cozy.

5. I am thankful for Mississippi. I heard someone talk about this on the radio the other day and I have to say that I agree. I mean no disrespect to Mississippians, I am sure they are a lovely people and live in some lovely areas. But whenever there is a list of the worse schools, obesity, bad teeth, unhealthly habits, etc., etc., etc., we are always pretty high up on the list.....except Mississippi usually beats us out of being the worse in any catagory. I don't mean to say that this applies to everyone in either state, but it seems to be the majority. I do think that us and Mississippi definitely need to work on our problems and get ourselves together, but in the meantime, thank god for Mississippi.


RECIPE OF THE DAY

Take one wine glass, fill it about 3/4 full with chilled red or white wine. Take the glass out to the deck, bring a book, put your feet up and enjoy yourself.


Kathy




RECIPE OF THE DAY





1 comment:

  1. maple nut ice cream recipe: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Maple-Walnut-Ice-Cream-104909

    ReplyDelete