Tuesday, April 10, 2012

inFLECtion

As you may remember, my 18yr. old son is in Florida for springbreak and we had a "discussion" before he left about how often he should text me, let me know everything's ok, he's having fun, yada..yada..yada. I felt he should check in at the very least every other day, he thought he shouldn't have to at all because he isn't 7 yrs. old. Next I reminded him that he couldn't swim.
...."yes I can"...
...."no you can't"...
...."yes I can"...
...."just because you can swim in a backyard pool doesn't mean you can swim"...
...."I can swim"...
...."the ocean is different, there are currents that can sweep you out to sea"...
...."I could swim to save my life"...
...."you can't swim"...
...."yes I can"...
And so it went, as I reminded him to put on his sunscreen, no drugs, no alcohol, don't leave you stuff laying around unattended, or your drink, watch your money and be respectful of the one set of parents that went along to chaperone.

They left Friday evening and stopped in Atlanta for the night and got there about 3pm on Saturday. He did let me know that they had made it ok. By Sunday evening I had not heard anything so at 11pm I texted him to make sure everything was going ok, he texted back "I'm fine".

But what I heard was "I'M.......you think I am a little kid, I can take care of myself, nothing can possibly happen to me, after all, I'm 18yrs. old and indestructible, nobody else has to check in, I can't help that I can't remember to text you.....FI--INE *sight* *eyerolld*.

When that car commercial comes on where the dad is handing the car keys to his daughter and she is about 5yrs. old and he is giving her all kinds of warnings and advice about driving and then it shows that she is really 16yrs. old, I made my son watch it. I told him that is how a parent still thinks of their child when they start doing things on their own. "Whatever" he replied. "When I have a kid I'm letting them do whatever they want". Sure, I thought to myself, I hope he has a daughter. Maybe I deserve that response because I remember when my Mom used to want me to check in when I was a teen, (and that was without the added ease of cell phones) my reply to her was always "don't worry, the police will notify you if something happens". That was soooo bad.

Of course, I haven't heard anything since the Sunday night text.."I'm fi-ine", so, guess what, before I go to bed tonight I will be texting him to make sure he hasn't drowned or starved to death. You see, he is a very picky eater....very..very..very picky eater, so I have visions of him no eating and wasting away. But on the bright side, maybe he will be forced to try some new foods out of necessity....that would be wonderful.

I also told him to take lots of picture to remember his trip by and I would like to see some of the stuff they did.
...."if I can remember"...
...."you have a phone that takes pictures, how hard can it be to remember"...
...."I don't know"...
...."try to remember"...
...."o---kay"...
Me..*sigh* *eyeroll*




RECIPE OF THE DAY                  UNBAKED COOKIES (me)


2 cups of sugar
1/2cup cocoa
1 stick of real butter
1/2cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
3 heaping tbls. crunchy peanut butter
3 cups of whole oats (old fashioned NOT quick)

Heat butter, milk, add sugar, cocoa and vanilla. Bring to a boil and boil for one minute. Add peanut butter and let dissolve. Turn off heat and stir in oats. Use a small ice scoop and scoop cookies onto parchment paper, put in fridge to set. Sometimes I line a 9X13 pan with parchment paper and spread the cookies in that and when they are set I cut them into bars. These cookies freeze well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment