Tuesday, April 3, 2012

5 Facts That I Have Learned

Life is a learning process, some lessons are big and important, some are small and seem inconsequential on the outside, but it is a lesson learned none the less.I have learned many lessons in my lifetime and then there are lessons that for some reasons never seem to stick and I keep repeating the same mistake over and over. I am here today to express some lessons I have learned and they have stuck!

1.  It is not a particularly good idea to eat granola for breakfast and then have chili for lunch, on the same day. Especially if you eat both of them at work and you have to fill in for the receptionist when she is at lunch. Fiber overload is all I'm sayin'.

2.  Under no circumstances take a popsicle directly out of the freezer and put it immediately in your mouth. Because if you do you could possibly pull the skin right off of your lips and your lips will still be on the popsicle. When I was a child I was at a church festival and I bought a popsicle and pulled my lips right off. It started bleeding and the only thing I had to wipe the blood off was my beanie (I went to Catholic School and a beanie was part of the uniform). I don't remember a whole lot more of what happened that day except that I got lost at the festival and pulled my lips off.


3.  Before I enlighten you on this fact, first a disclaimer. Yes, I do feed my dog people food along with her dog food. I fix ground chicken or turkey and had mixed veggies and add a cup to her dry dog food. And she also likes cottage cheese and some........ahem.....snack foods.   Don't judge me, she likes it and it is probably healthier than some dog food. BUT under no circumstances, ever, ever give your dog so much as a 1/2 cup of bean soup juice, no beans, just the juice, with her supper.  It will become quite clear about 3AM why, I don't think I need to say more.


4.  Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean your SHOULD do something. My son's father had a severe drug addiction some years ago which ultimately ended our long term relationship. And I am pleased that he no longer has a drug addiction, other problems, yes, but not the drugs anymore. Well, at the time he would leave the house saying he was going to the store to get lottery tickets or cigarettes and be gone for 3 or four days. I would go searching because I usually had a general idea where the crack house was and I would park in front and honk my horn over and over and over again. I knew they wouldn't want all that attention and they would make him come out to see what I wanted. We would argue and I would demand the key to the house so no one else would get it if it was lost and I didn't want him coming back unless I was home. There were times when the dealer would come out and I would cuss them out for doing this to my family.  All in all, my doing those things probably wasn't the safest thing to do. Luckily nothing ever happened to me, but I would not advise anyone to ever do that and I would never, ever do that again.


5.  This fact is short and sweet......sometimes it is better to keep your opinion to yourself. A plain simple fact and I have learned that lesson the hard way.  But occasionally I do forget that lesson, but believe me, I am soon reminded.



RECIPE OF THE DAY                     BEER BREAD  (got out of the newspaper)


3 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
3 tbls of sugar
1 tbl. of baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. of salt
1 12oz beer
1 egg, beaten

Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt in a large bowl. Add beer, stir with fork til combined.  Turn out onto floured suface and knead quickly til it forms a ball. Place on baking sheet and slit an X on top, brush with egg.

Put oven rack on lower-middle position and heat oven to 375. Bake until golden brown, about 45 min. Cool on wire rack...

I have made this bread many times and it is very good.


Kathy




No comments:

Post a Comment