Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Time To Bite The Bullet

There is nothing so humbling as going to the Doctors office. Even when you are just going for a quick checkup and to get a couple of prescriptions renewed, it is a daunting experience. For some reason when they call you into the back area, they insist on weighing you in the hallway for all to see. I always make sure that I wear shoes that I can slip off, even if it is the dead of winter I am NOT about to be weighted with shoes on. If I could strip down I would, but we don't want everyone running from the building in a panic.

And getting my blood pressure taken always makes me a nervous wreck, even though it has always been ok, I just get all jittery when they bring that cuff near me.  Well, this time it was a little elevated, not horribly, 141/87, but just enough to talk about.  I still think it was from the nerves and the two humongous mugs of coffee I had  an hour before my appointment, but I couldn't convince her of that. Dang it!!

So of course THE TALK came back around to the fact that I need to loose some weight. Of course, that is what she said when I asked what I could do about it instead of taking medication. I do not like taking medication if I can possibly avoid it. I always figure there must be another way. Of course, this is not news to me, I have already talked previously about needing to loose some weight.

I am an emotional eater. I don't eat when I'm happy or sad or depressed. It's when I am tired or stressed. I just want to grab something quick and easy and yummy, my biggest temptation is plain, Lays potato chips and pretzels. I have been super stressed lately, I try to think that my "glass" is half full, but lately my "glass" seems to have sprung a leak. No wonder my blood pressure is up and I have been snacking too much. So now it is time to bite the bullett.

I reconsidered the Weight Watcher plan because it does work, but with all the tracking and planning, you have to think about food all the time.  Counting calories.......hmmmm....same thing.  80/20 plan, where you eat healthy 80% of the time and eat what you want, within reason, 20% of the time, I like it, but can I keep my portions under control, I don't know since I'm not doing such a terrific job of that now! Low carb?? NOOOO. Everything in moderation? Yes, but can I moderate, that is the question.

I don't know what I'm going to do, but I have to seriously do something, the perscription for blood pressure medicine is hanging over my head. I definitly don't want to have to take any.  I already walk everyday, but the doctor said I need to walk more or incorporate some other exercise into my routine. As you know, I like to live my life with wild abandon and whimsy......ahem............anyway, I have to change my ways, for real this time. I have been scouring cookbooks for healthier meal ideas and I have come across several that I really like, and I figure since summer is on it's way, there will be plenty of berries, melons, fresh veggies. So here I go again, but this time there is more at stake, my blood pressure and I don't want that problem. When you start taking medication for one thing, there are sometimes side effects and then you have to take a pill for the side effects and the cycle starts. Not for me!


RECIPE OF THE DAY:            OATMEAL SMOOTHIE


1 cup of ice

1/2 cup of frozen raspberries

1/2 cup of plain low fat yogurt (I use greek yogurt)

1 banana

1/2 old fashioned rolled oats

1 tbl. honey

1 cup liquid (I use 2% milk, but you can use juice, milk or any liquid you prefer)

Place ice and raspberries in the bottom of the blender and all the other ingredients on top and blend til smooth.

I have fixed this smoothie many times and it is very, very, good. You can even change up the fruit to whatever you like.   Enjoy.


Kathy



No comments:

Post a Comment