Sunday, March 25, 2012

Spring Break

Lordy, spring break is coming up in a couple of weeks, and my son is going to Florida with 3 of his friends. I wasn't too sure about this trip when he first told me about it, four 18yrs. old, alone in Florida, the others have been out of town before, my son hasn't. Spring break conjures up all kinds of images....binge drinking, drugs, dangerous behavior, random sex....scary images.

Well, apparently, one of his friends' parents had some concerns about them driving down there by themselves, so they decided that they needed a vacation and would go and stay in another hotel, just to be close by in case of anything going wrong.  That made me feel better, a lot better.  But still, things can go wrong, car accidents, getting drunk, passing out and getting sick and then drowning in your own vomit, getting abducted and sold into slavery, etc., and how fast can the parents get there from across town. Sooo many things to worry about.

Ahh, but plans have changed. The parents decided to rent a 3 bedroom condo, so now the boys and the parents will all be staying together.    BIG SIGH OF RELIEF!!! Now I am pretty cool with the idea of him going. The parents will be driving their own car and all the boys will drive together in another car. The boy whose parents are going is the boy who will be driving also, and he is a good kid who my son has known since 6th grade. I think there will be a lot less chance of trouble with everyone staying in the same condo, and if something does happen, (real) adults will be right there. Plus their condo is not right in the epicenter of spring break madness like Daytona or Panama City, they will still be close, but not right in the middle of the madness.

I am proud of my son, he has saved and saved to pay for his own trip. He paid for his share of the condo, he has money put back to pay on the gas for the trip, and they will all pitch in on food to have there at the condo, he has money for that.  And he has a good amount set back to pay for whatever they do down there and to eat out, etc. He still has to buy some essentials to take with him. I keep telling him he definitly needs to get plenty of sunscreen, because it is a lot easier to get burned badly down there. I want him to take lots of pictures, but I'm sure he won't. I don't think boys care about stuff like that.

My son has never been out of town before, let alone out of state and for a whole week. He's never spent more than a couple of nights away from home.  He's starting to get excited about this trip, and I am so glad he gets to go and have this experience and I trust him to do the right thing. I just worry about peer pressure, but he tells me he isn't stupid enough to do those things that I warn him about.  My fingers are crossed.

I have reminded him several times that he CANNOT swim. He thinks he can swim because he could swim in my brother's pool and in his friend's pool.  I tell him that those pools are only 5ft. deep. It is a lot different in a really deep pool or the ocean when you can't just stand up if you get into trouble. Again, he tells me he's not stupid and won't drown. Just remember that you CANNOT swim, please.  Maybe I should call the parents and let them know? Hmmmm, is it too late for swumming lessons?

I was pretty UNcomfortable about this trip at first, but I'm feeling a lot more relaxed about it, but I will still be on pins and needles the whole time he's gone.



RECIPE OF THE DAY:                            


PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES  (EASY, EASY EASY)

1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
1 cup of peanut butter ( I use crunchy)
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla

Mix all ingredients together, stirring well. Shape cookie dough into balls (I get about 18 balls out of it)
Place on baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Press cookies down with a fork, first one way and then the other way.(so it looks like a tic tac toe pattern)

Bake at 325 for about 10 to 15min. I like mine a little chewy so just test them until they are like you want.
Yummy!


Kathy




1 comment:

  1. maybe when he gets back he will know how to swim!

    ReplyDelete