Thursday, March 15, 2012

5 Things......

Here are 5 things that I hate and the usual things that people hate don't count here, they are just a given. For instance everyone hates wars, violence against women and children, violence period, child molesters and the list goes on and on. These are not the things that I'm talking about here, this is just icky stuff that I personally hate.

1. PEAS....peas, I loath peas. They are nasty little mushy balls of "ickieness". I hate the looks of them, the smell of them cooking and ohhh, the taste is just nasty.  Yes, I have tried them before. When I was little I wouldn't eat my peas so my mom made me sit at the table until I ate some.  By the time I tasted them, they were cold and nasty.  And ever since then, I avoid them like the plague. What really irks me is when I order vegetable soup anywhere, there seems to be a disproportionate amount of peas in it compared to all the other vegetables in the soup. Do you know how long it takes to pick all the peas out of a bowl of soup, too long.

2.  Circuses..I have never liked the circus. And I have to say the biggest reason is because I don't like the way they treat their animals or the methods they use to train their animals. It is not very nice at all. Elephants are trained using bullhooks, which is like a big stick with a sharp hook on the end that they use to train them, because their hide is so thick they can feel it when used. Other animals whipped into submission. Maybe some circuses have changed their methods, but I doubt many have. Plus, I don't find it entertaining to watch animals like bears dressed in funny costumes, or big cats being forced to jump through hoops and elephants having to do tricks.  I don't find it amusing to watch animals doing things unnatural to them. I didn't take my son to the circus when he was small and I told him why. BUT....I do love Cirque du Soliel. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. For one thing, they don't use animals, and the skill and talent of the performers is extraordinary.  If you've never seen it, do. I DID take my son to see them, and he loved it.





3.  I also hate parades and ice shows, for no particular reason , just because.


4.  I hate when someone in front of me at a checkout fumbles through their purse or wallet to get the exact change to pay with. For instance, the total is $10.37, they pay the bills but then search and search for the 37cents, then looking and looking for the last 2 pennies. I just want to say.."for God's sake, just give them a dollar and get change back.  It just makes me crazy. I can't help myself.


5.  I hate that I don't have enough confidence in myself. Not enough confidence to speak up at just the right time and say just the right thing when it is needed. Not enough confidence to change things in my life that I want to change but don't always feel strong enough to do it. Not enough confidence to "march to the beat of a different drummer" that at times I want too.  Not enough confidence to change directions when the road I am going down doesn't seem right. Hmm....obviously something that is in my UNcomfortzone, and I need to work on.




RECIPE OF THE DAY

BUSY DAY CHOCOLATE CAKE  (Lucinda Scala Quinn)

1 1/2 cup of all purpose flour

1 cup of sugar

3 tbl. unsweetened cocoa powder

1tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp coarse salt

6 tbl. of  oil (canola/vegetable)

1 tsp pure vanilla

1 tbl white vinegar

1 cup of cold water

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl, make a well in the center and add wet ingredients and whisk until completely combined.. Spray an 8in pan with cooking spray and add mixture. Bakes at 350 for 35 to 40 min. or until you test the cake with a toothpick and it comes out clean.

Tastes good with icing or whip cream of just a dusting of powdered sugar.  I love this cake. and if you are interested, it is vegan also.


Kathy


























1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on the peas...how can anybody eat them? Go figure.

    ReplyDelete