Saturday, January 11, 2014

I've Been Lazy

I've been lazy, I haven't been on here or posted anything in several weeks. First it was the Christmas holidays, New Years and all the business that comes with the holidays. Last weekend I was suffering from a muscle spasm in my back that was so very painful and lasted for two and half days. Then, of course, there was the whole "polar vortex" thingy that blew through 2/3's of the country this past week. I was busy trying to stay warm and keep my water pipes from freezing. Now, finally, the weather is back to it's usual winter yuckiness.

With everything going on I haven't cooked anything special or different for a while, just the usual meals. BUT, tomorrow is going to be "Pie Sunday". I going to try my hand at making an apple pie with a pecan/brown sugar topping. It sure sounds good and I hope I can pull it off. I will post the results.

Meanwhile, I've noticed something different at my grocery store. I don't know if it's new or I just haven't noticed it before, but this baby kale in a package is brilliant.



I noticed it a couple of weeks ago and have been buying it ever since. I love putting it on sandwiches instead of lettuce. It has kind of a peppery taste. I've also been putting quite of bit of it into salads, makes for a nice twist. I'm loving it. Plus it's healthy and keeps me eating my veggies.

I've also been on a Brussels sprout kick. I found this bag at the store and sautéed some tonight, in a skillet, for dinner. These, too, are also good chopped up and put into salads. I have a recipe somewhere for a Brussels sprout coleslaw that I'm anxious to try, maybe for the summer.


Again, it keeps me eating my veggies which I'm sometimes lax about, but determined to do better in the New Year.

On a separate note, my specialty utensil drawer is still a jumble, but I can usually find what I need.


I bet there's some things on the bottom of that pile that I have forgotten all about or could even throw out. But, that's another project for another day.

On a closing note, since the weather has warmed up slightly, it is still winter afterall, and it has rained several times this week, Lola's running paths are a mess.....but she doesn't seem to mind.




It's just soooo much fun.


Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment