Sunday, December 22, 2013

Everybody Loves A Tater

Potatoes are so versatile, mashed, baked, boiled, au gratin, etc., etc. And the flavorings that you can add to potatoes, bacon, cheese, chives, butter, pretty  much  anything you want to add will go good on a potato.

I had some leftover mashed potatoes from supper last night so today I decided to make some small potato pancakes to keep in the freezer for a later date.


All I did was take the leftover potatoes and add 1 egg and about 1/2 cup of all purpose flour, pepper and some spicy blend from Mrs. Dash.


Just mix everything together and then I used my handy dandy small ice cream scoop to measure out the potatoes and then I flattened them a little.




Then it's just simply a matter of frying them up until they are a golden brown.


Drain on a paper towel. After they cool, I put them on a cookie sheet and put it in the freezer til they were frozen. That makes it easier to put in a freezer bag and when you want some you can just grab 2 or 3 to reheat.

I always thaw a couple out and heat them up in the toaster oven til they are sizzling hot.


Yummy.  There were two more but I had to do a taste test. One for me and one for Lola. We both agreed they were good.

I am going to report that there was no salt used in making these. When I fixed the mashed potatoes I did not add any salt to them. I did lightly salt my helping on my plate, but the pan of potatoes were sodium free. When I fixed these "pancakes" I didn't add any salt either, but I did lightly salt the one I tested. Small steps.........

I will confess that salt and I had a clandestine meeting on Friday night when I fixed a homemade pizza with Italian sausage on it. BUT, I figured it had less sodium in it then a frozen pizza or a take out pizza.  Small steps......

I hope everyone has a safe, peaceful and Merry Christmas!!!!


Kathy


No comments:

Post a Comment