Saturday, January 18, 2014

Potato Leek Soup/Chowder

Friday was the perfect day to make soup, I had the time, it was very cold and snow was falling off and on all day. What a better day to warm your insides with a steaming hot bowl of soup and some cornbread.

When I make potato soup, I don't really use a specific recipe, I just kinda make it up as I go along. Most of the time it works out perfectly, but since I don't always make it the same way, there are a few times it hasn't worked out so great. I just fly by the seat of my pants when I make potato soup.


I get a bunch of leeks, which have a mild oniony flavor, cut off the ends, slice down the middle and then thinly slice.

 

Leeks have dirt and grit between their layers, so after slicing them you have to put them in a bowl of water to get the grit out. I let them soak for a few minutes then drain and rinse in a colander.



I cut up some bacon and cooked it til it was crisp then removed the bacon but kept the bacon grease. Then I put the leeks in to sauté until they were softand I added some dried basil leaves.


I also chopped up a couple of garlic cloves and added a dash of paprika, just because. Stir it around and next add two or three tablespoons of flour and stir it around and let it cook for a couple of minutes to get rid of the raw flour taste. This will help with the thickening of the soup.




Once you let this cook for a few minutes, slowly add chicken broth (or you could use vegetable broth if you want it completely vegetarian) while stirring the whole time so there won't be any lumps. I ended up using a carton and 1/2 altogether.




I had already peeled, diced and rinsed about 4 pounds of potatoes and kept them in some cold water until I was ready for them. I added them to the pot, added some more broth to cover the potatoes and let it cook til the potatoes were almost tender but with still a little bite to them.



When the potatoes  were almost done, I decided at the last minute to add about a half of a bag of frozen corn....just for the heck of it, for color and taste. I added the cooked bacon back in and put the fire on low and let it simmer for a little bit. I also stirred in some heavy cream about this time, maybe a cup or so, depending on how creamy you want it, along with some salt and pepper.



The very last thing that I did, while the heat was still on low, was finely shred some cheddar cheese, maybe about a cup. Add this to the soup and continue stirring until the cheese is melted.


I then took the soup off of the heat, covered it with the lid and let it sit for a little bit. Since the potatoes were just shy of being completely tender, by taking it off the heat the potatoes will continue to cook in the hot liquid til all the way tender without getting mushy and dissolving in the soup. I know this from experience....haha.

This soup may put you in a carb-induced coma, but what better way to feel cozy and warm on a cold and snowy day.


Kathy
























No comments:

Post a Comment