Monday, December 2, 2013

It's All About The Leftovers

Thanksgiving Day has come and gone and now it's all about the leftovers. Everyone wants and loves the turkey day leftovers. Usually there is such an abundance of food that there is plenty for everyone to take home.

But what to do with them? Do you fix another plateful, reminiscent of the "big" meal, do you fix sandwiches or make up a casserole that includes all the turkey, dressing, gravy and assorted sides? Is there a special concoction that you like and throw together?

I decided to fix up a leftover treat that I've never made before. I can't say that it is an original recipe but I've never seen it anywhere, but surely someone has done this.


Thanksgiving pizza!!

First I made some homemade pizza dough. I make this dough quite often for just regular pizza. I got it out of the cookbook, Mad Hungry. I'll post the recipe at the end in case you want to try it, it's really easy.


I cut this dough into six individual portions for personal size pizzas. They are about 7in. across when spread out on a pizza pan.


This make a thinner and crispy crust, but I like that.


I then spread a couple of spoonsful of our families traditional sausage dressing.


Next comes the ever popular greenbean casserole. I just sprinkled around a few of the green beans, along with some of the French fried onions, of course.


Next comes the pieces of turkey.


And we can't forget the gravy, it wouldn't be complete without it.

I then baked it at 400F for about 15 or 20 minutes. I just kept checking it to make sure it was hot, since all the ingredients were already cooked, except for the dough. You can tell when the dough is done by looking at the edges. Once it starts getting crispy and slightly browned, it should be done.




I have to say, this turned out really good. It had all the flavors of Thanksgiving in each bite. Even Lola liked it. She got the last piece because it was pretty filling and she was able to enjoy the holiday leftovers.

Here is the pizza dough recipe:

1/2 cup water
1/2 cup milk
1 pkg. of dry yeast
1/4 tsp. sugar
2-1/2 cups of all purpose flour (plus extra for kneading)
1 tbl. extra virgin olive oil (plus extra for brushing)
2 tsp of course salt

Heat water and milk to just lukewarm, transfer to a large bowl and sprinkle in yeast and sugar. Let sit about 5 min. or til dissolved.

Stir in olive oil, flour and salt. Once the dough is combined, knead on a floured surface until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 10 or 15 minutes.

Brush a large bowl with olive oil and add the dough and lightly brush the top with olive oil. Cover and let stand in a warm place til doubled, about 3 hours. (Or place in refrigerator overnight to rise slowly).

Punch down dough and divide into the appropriate number of portions that you want. I usually get 6 individual pizzas out of this dough. Wrap unused dough in plastic wrap and put in a freezer bag and put in the freezer.

Enjoy

Kathy


No comments:

Post a Comment