Wednesday, December 11, 2013

"One Who Plants A Garden, Plants Happiness"

After a snowy and icy weekend, I was hoping to see some melting, but Tuesday morning, here comes  some more snow. It was just an inch or so and it was pretty, but I'd already had enough snow for a while. This is the kind of weather we usually get in January, very, very seldom this early in December. I have a bad feeling about this winter.....and winter won't even start for another 2 weeks!!


But when I got home yesterday, there it was, a ray of hope, a spot of sunshine, the will to live, just sitting in my mailbox.


My 2014 seed catalog, with all it's hope and promises.

As I lovingly turn each page, looking at all the vegetables, fruits and wildflowers, I know that Spring will come again.....as God as my witness, it will be warm again. While reading the descriptions of each seed, trying to decide what I want to order and reading the little anecdotes about the company and their mission and how they acquire their seeds, a calm washes over me. It will be warm again.

Until I step outside and almost slip on the ice!!


I had some hits and some misses with last summer's garden, but this year, I'm getting an early start and it's going to be much better. I hope.

The catalog also has different quotes sprinkled throughout, like the title of this post, a Chinese proverb.

Here are some of my favorites:

"And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat"..Genesis 1:29

"Neither human occupation opens so wide a field for the profitable and agreeable combination of labor with cultivated thought, as agriculture"..Abraham Lincoln.

"Globalized industrialized food is not cheap: it is too costly for the Earth, for the farmers, for our health"..Vandana Shiva

"The true Southern watermelon is a boon apart, and not to be mentioned with commoner things. It is chief of this world's luxuries, king by the grace of God over all the fruits of the earth. When one has tasted it, he knows what the angels eat. It was not a Southern watermelon that Eve took; we know it because she repented."..Mark Twain

"The whole imposing edifice of modern medicine, for all it's breathtaking success, is, like the Tower of Pisa , slightly off balance. It is frightening how dependent on drugs we are all becoming and how easy it is for doctors to prescribe them as the universal panacea for our ills."..Prince Charles.

"Flowers always make people better, happier; and more helpful; they are sunshine, food and medicine to the soul."..Luther Burbank

Stay warm.


Kathy










No comments:

Post a Comment