Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Snap..Crackle..POP

How do you feel about chiropractors? It's still considered an "alternative" form of medicine or healing. According to Wikipedia,, as late as 1987, the American Medical Association called it an "unscientific cult". I'm sure many of you have heard the jokes about chiropractors not being real doctors. Even to this day, people still have doubts about the validity of it.

Chiropractor "ism"(?) is the belief or practice of manipulating your spine and the belief that it is related to health and that it involves your nervous system. People usually go to them for an "adjustment" because they have back or neck pain, headaches or have had some trauma that might cause chronic pain.

I have been to chiropractors quite a few times in my life. When I was a small child I had asthma and had pretty severe attacks quite often. I remember being sick and not being able to breath for a week at a time. My Mom use to take me to a chiropractor that had an office in our neighborhood. From the little that I remember and from what my Mom has told me, after I would get an adjustment, my asthma would ease up quite a bit and I would get over the attack much sooner that I normally would. Coincidence, maybe but who knows, my Mom swore by it.

Several years later, it was determined that I was allergic to quite a few things, pollen, mold, dander and quite a few foods and I was started on allergy shots. Eventually my Mom stopped taking me to the chiropractor because my asthma attacks where getting fewer and fewer, but I really believed that they helped.

In 2001 I was in a car accident, I was stopped waiting to turn into the parking lot at my work when a girl on her way to school rear ended me. My car was totaled and I ended up with whiplash. I was referred to a chiropractor to help with the neck injury. And it was wonderful!!

She took x-rays and took a history and physical and we talked about past injuries. I probably went to about a dozen sessions and it really did make a differenct and made my neck and shoulders feel a lot better. Although she did tell me that in time I would probably have some arthritis in my neck...and she was right! If I could afford it, I would go to a chiropractor on a regular basis.

The spinal manipulation does feel good, believe it or not. The stretching and twisting and tugging may feel a little uncomfortable for a minute but afterwards.........ahh, it really feels relaxing. The only thing that I don't like is when they pop your neck. They cradle your head until your neck is really relaxed then BAM...they twist your head and you hear your neck pop. I don't like that one.

 My favorite was she had this machine that you lay flat on and under the cushion are these three big rollers. When they turn the machine on, the rollers very slowly move up and down underneath of your body. At first it feels a little uncomfortable, but after a few minutes I was so relaxed I could have fallen asleep. I felt like I had no bones in my body, I have always said that if I ever when the lottery I am going to buy one of those beds for myself.

I don't know how any of you feel about any kind of alternative medicine, but I am always open to the idea. Going to a chiropractor is just one alternative. I really think there is something to alternative medicine and to the idea of preventative "medicine", by taking care of yourself before you even have a problem.

I'd like to know what y'all think about it. Has anyone else had any experiences, good or bad, with any kind of alternative or homeopathic medicine or cures?


Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment