Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Not Giving Up

Okay, okay, so my first year planting a small garden hasn't been the stellar success that I had hoped it would be. There were some successes....the lettuce, lots and lots of herbs. And some failures...tomatoes and baby bok choy.

 
My tomato plants seem to be dying, the leaves are turning yellow then drying up. See those cotton balls, someone told me to soak them in pure peppermint oil and set them by the plants and it will keep the squirrels away. Pffssstt......the squirrels have stripped every tomato and every "whisper" of a tomato off of these plants.


This tomato plant I kept. I pulled up the other one, I believe it was done. This one didn't have quite as many dead spots and there was actually a little baby tomato growing. So I cut off the dead spots and it does seem to be growing some new leaves. It may survive, I'm not too sure about the baby tomato, I'll be lucky if it's still there tomorrow.......I'm thinking positive thoughts.


My baby bok choy never quite came together, although it did better than the first time I planted it. But as you can see, the leaves and stalks never closed up and they started going to seed. There's always next year.

But I'm not through for this year yet. I have another trick of my sleeve.



I'm going to plant these two fall crops, brussels sprouts and these cute little carrots. They are supposed to be planted a couple of months before the first frost, which around here will be towards the end of October, so I will plant them in a couple of weeks. In the meantime, I'm going to use some plant and soil food to enrich the soil in the containers.

I have high hopes for these fall veggies (please..please..please).


Kathy






No comments:

Post a Comment