Monday, June 25, 2012

My Gifts From Heaven (part 1)

The following is a true story, I did not write it. It was written about 40 years ago or so. It was a time before advanced medical treatment and not a lot was known about certain ailments. I share this story because it shows true sacrifice and courage and hope in a time of despair. I will be sharing this story over the next few posts, I have changed the names of the people involved for privacy although most of the people in this story are longer with us. I hope you see in this story, as I did, how the human spirit can handle adversity and still keep the faith.


                                                           MY GIFTS FROM HEAVEN


It was a cold snowy night on December 24, 1955, when the first pain began.  My second baby was on the way.  A doctor friend who lived in the next apartment told me to go to bed and that I had plenty of time.  Nothing would happen before morning. Boy!  Did I fool him!  One hour later I was on my way to the hospital. 

I had my suitcase packed three weeks in advance so as not to have to rush at the last minute.

My husband, John, who worked for a softdrink company, had been home from work about two hours.  We were just finishing supper when the pains started.  John walked six houses up the street to get my parents.  They cam down immediately, feeling more excited than we.  Mom stayed with my son, Jr., as we called him.

Jr. was two years old and had cerebral palsy.  He was completely helpless and spent much of his time in a wheelchair. He was such a friendly little guy and always had a smile for everyone.  Even though he couldn't talk, he did recognize people and always expected to be acknowledged when someone came into the room.  If someone forgot to speak to him, he would fret and keep looking at them until they did speak.  Mom was the only person I would trust to take care of Jr. because she knew his habits and he was difficult to care for.

When I felt it was time to leave for the hospital, Dad backed his car down to the front of our house.  I got in the back seat with John and off we went.

We were all feeling very anxious.  We wanted this baby more than anything.  This baby would make up for all the disappointments we had with our first child.

Before we were married we talked of having four children.  John wanted two boys to do all his work so he could take it easy.  I wanted two girls to help me around the house.  We often laughed and said we could retire while we were young and let the children take care of us.

I couldn't help but say a silent prayer that this baby would be normal and healthy.  We had accepted the fact that our first child was handicapped, but could we possibly accept another one.

Good old Dad, he as so law-abiding.  A few of my pains told me we'd better hurry, but Dad wouldn't pass a red light for anything and believe me, we made every red light between home and the hospital.

Finally we arrived there.  Dad and John debated whether to go in the back door or the front.  I said, "While you two are trying to decide, I'm going in the front way."  Dad and John went into the waiting room and I was wheeled upstairs to the labor room.

What thoughts rush through one's mind when one enters this room.  Everything so white and sterile and the odor of anesthesia throughout the hospital.  Then the pains which start out so mild, then become so severe you wonder if you can bear it.  Then you think of the reward you get in exchange for the pain and it seems like a very small price to pay.

By now the pains were severe, only seconds apart, as I rang for the nurse.  She immediately examined me and listened for the baby's heartbeat.  It took here several minutes.  She called in two other nurses who tried to locate the heartbeat.  They said they couldn't find one.

Dear God, I thought, please don't let anything go wrong with this baby.  By now I was on my way to the delivery room.  After a few minutes the doctor arrived.  I apologized for taking him away from his family on Christmas Eve.  As it turned out, he was at a basketball game and had to leave during half-time.  I'm sure he could have blessed me.

Dr. Moore was a very kind and thoughtful person.  He tried to reassure me during these nine months that nothing would go wrong with this baby, that it was rare to have two children in the same family with cerebral palsy.  I tried to believe him, but, after all, I hadn't felt much movement during the pregnancy.

We carried on a conversation during the delivery, trying to ease the tension.  I reminded the doctor that I had predicted this baby to be born on Christmas Eve, and that he said it wouldn't come before the first week of January.

We had hoped for a girl but Kevin came along instead.  It took what seemed like eternity before they could get him to breathe.  Finally after a few hard spanks on the seat, he gave out a lusty yell and everything seemed to be all right.  He as my special gift from heaven.  An even 6 pounds and bald as a beet, but the most precious little thing in the world.

I felt a little sad to think that I couldn't be at home with the rest of the family because Christmas was always a day of excitement.  Mom always baked a huge turkey with dressing and all the trimmings.  Company would come and go all day and the thrill of opening presents and the laughter of children.  How I would like to be there tonight, but God had other plans and who are we to question the will of God?

The day after Kevin was born, Christmas Day, John and my family came to see me.  They brought my presents with them and John gave me a pot of yellow chrysanthamums.  This was the happiest Christmas I ever had -  a new baby, presents, flowers, we were sitting on top of the world.  The whole workd was beautiful.  Nothing could go wrong now.


(to be continued)


Kathy









No comments:

Post a Comment