Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Walnut Oil



I bought this walnut oil a couple of years ago. Well, not this particular can, another can, this is a new can.....you know what I mean. Anyway, I bought it for a recipe I saw in a magazine for walnut bread. I never did make the bread but I did use it to make my own salad dressing.

I know salad dressing seems like such an easy thing to make from scratch, basically it's oil and vinegar, but for some reason I never could get it just right. But on the back of the can was a "recipe" for salad dressing:

4 Tbl. of walnut oil
1 Tbl. of balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. of mustard
salt and pepper
and just shake it up

Pretty simple right? Yes, yes it is. One thing that I like about it, besides that it tastes good, is that it makes just enough for an individual salad. I don't like my salads swimming in dressing and the portion is just enough. I have seen recipes for homemade dressings before, but it's always way more than I need.

I've played around with this recipe by substituting different vinegar, like champagne vinegar or red wine vinegar. One thing that is really good is using lemon or lime juice in place of the vinegar. Something else that I've thought about but haven't tried yet is maybe using lemon and then honey instead of the mustard as a dressing for fruit salad......hmmmmm.

Lots of times I will add different flavors of Mrs. Dash seasoning to the dressing along with the salt and pepper, maybe the fiesta lime, lemon pepper or the extra spicy flavor. It really does make it tasty. Plus an added bonus to using this oil is that it's got lot's of omega 3 being it's made from walnuts, the good for you fats.

Now I must tell you that this oil is a little pricey. I believe I paid about $7 or $8 for it, but it will last me quite a while because I only use it for salad dressing and I don't eat salads everyday. It may last me a couple of months so I feel it is well worth it, being healthy and all.

Kathy



I must tell you though that this



1 comment: