Sunday, October 20, 2013

Sunday Cookin'

Here it is Sunday again and I've got time to cook. I'm actually roasting a turkey breast in the oven for supper tonight, but I wanted to get something cooked ahead a time for later in the week and to put in the freezer for a couple of future meals.

I decided I had a hankering for nachos. Yummmmy. So I figured if I could cook up some "taco" meat ahead of time then I would just have to throw it on some chips, add some cheese and there it is. The meat could also be used in actual tacos or burritos. See how versatile it is and it freezes well too.


So I browned 1 1/2 lbs of ground chuck. I got a 3lb package at the grocery that was on sale. I'll use the 1 1/2 to make chili at a later date.


These are the spices I used to make the meat taste "nacho-y". But later I decided not to use the basil.

1 1/2 tsp of cumin
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp paprika
Add crushed red pepper to taste, depending on how much heat you want.
salt
pepper
1 medium diced onion

Once the meat is browned and the excess grease drained off, add the spices and onion, stir around and let simmer for a couple of minutes.


This is a new ingredient that I saw used on a cooking show, so I bought it and was very anxious to try it. It is Mexican tomato sauce, found in the Mexican section of the grocery store (duh). It is nice and spicy. I poured it little by little into the meat mixture, letting it simmer for a while before I added more. I didn't want to make it too soupy. But I ended up using the whole can, it's only a 7oz can. Then I let the meat simmer for a while.


I had planned on soaking some black beans over night and cooking them today. But I was on the go a lot yesterday and was too tired to do it last night. But, you can always improvise, so I used a can of kidney beans that I had. I just drained and rinsed them and threw them in the meat mixture. No problem.


I let this all simmer for a while and even though I hadn't plan to eat any today, I had to have a taste for lunch. But there is still plenty for another meal of nachos or burritos during the week. I'll then freeze the rest in individual portions for future use, when I'm in a hurry and don't feel like cooking!


I shredded some of this cheese to put on my nachos. But you can always change it up by using Mexican cheese, pepper jack or any other kind of cheese that you like.


This was my quick lunch today, I just had to have some because it smelled so good. I did stick it in the microwave for 30 seconds or so to melt the cheese. When I will fix it for dinner, I'll add some diced grape tomatoes, and have a little salad with it, you could maybe add olives if you like them ( I don't!).

I hope you will try it, it's pretty simple to make and you can add anything you like.

On a completely note, this is what my kitchen table looks like after a week of just throwing the mail and assorted things onto it instead of dealing with it daily.



Later......

Kathy












No comments:

Post a Comment