Sunday, October 6, 2013

"MAD" Cookies

That's not really the name of these cookies but the recipe is from a great cookbook called "Mad Hungry, Feeding Men & Boys" by Lucinda Scala Quinn. It is one of my favorite cookbooks. She use to even have a cooking show on the Hallmark Channel until it was canceled to make room for some insipid home show full of household hints, crafts and blah blah blah.

Many times she would have her sons or other members of her family on to help her cook, the recipes were for, as she says, to bring back the family meal.


This particular recipe is for oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Now, I have never been a fan of oatmeal cookies. I find most of them fairly tasteless or just plan icky. Maybe that's just me, but I decided to try these because, one, I like her recipes and two, oats are supposed to be good for you, right?


Well, I absolutely LOVE these cookies. Plus they taste nothing like store bought oatmeal cookies or any oatmeal cookies that I have tried before. Also, no raisins either, yuck.They are pretty easy to make and the recipe makes about 24 (or there about, haha) cookies.


3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp coarse salt (I didn't have coarse salt so I just used regular salt)
1 stick of unsalted butter, softened
6 tbl granulated sugar
6 tbl light brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp water
1 cup rolled oats
6 oz. semisweet chocolate chips

The recipe says to whisk the flour, baking soda and salt together in a bowl, but I just dumped it all in after I mixed together the batter. Your call.

Beat together the butter, sugars, egg, vanilla and water and then this is where I dumped in the dry ingredients. Mix to combine and add chocolate chips.

Preheat oven to 375F and I used parchment paper on the cookie sheet so they wouldn't stick. I love parchment paper. If you don't have parchment paper, butter the cookie sheet.

Drop by teaspoons (mine where more like tablespoons) one inch apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly golden brown. Remove and let cool.

Of course you can imagine how good they taste warm......uh huh!!




I got 22 cookies from this recipe since I used a tablespoon and not a teaspoon. They also freeze well if you are so inclined.

It's been a really rainy weekend here, really, really rainy. But it's been soothing for me to bake cookies. This morning I put a roast on, made my homemade breakfast muffins for the week and made homemade pancakes for breakfast this morning. It's good for my soul.

Just for the heck of it I'm including a couple of pictures of Lola.


She's hoping I drop a cookie, she likes them warm also.


What? What's that? Somebody must be walking their dog past the house. I must go bark at them.

Later

Kathy












No comments:

Post a Comment