Sunday, June 2, 2013

What Is This?

Okay, as you know, I've been growing baby bok choy from non-GMO seeds. Since I have never grown anything like this before, I'm not sure how it is supposed to look, so I'm very confused about what it is looking like.




From everything I've looked up on Google, nothing looks like this, with the growing stalk and the flowers that are blooming.  I hope that they are growing  the way they are supposed to, but I don't have a good feeling about it. Does anyone have any ideas what this all means? Any ideas? Suggestions?


I'm happy to announce that I have a small, small, small tomato starting to grow. I love it, I can't wait to eat some homegrown tomatoes and some fried green tomatoes....yummy.

I did some more cooking this weekend while watching a NCIS marathon on TV. I always do my best cooking while watching reruns of NCIS. Maybe it's because I need to find a man like Gibbs. Hmmm.
But anyway, I digress.


I used one of my favorite cookbooks, The Pioneer Woman..Food From My Frontier. I have both her cookbooks and I love them and regularly cook from them. This weekend I made sloppy joes, from scratch. My usual method was to just buy a can of Manwich Sandwich and add beef, but I really wanted to make some from scratch and they were delicious, even if I say so myself.


Adding some ingredients to the browned hamburger.



Adding more.....


A few more.....


Here I went all crazy and added something that wasn't in the recipe....some tomato paste, for just a little more "tomatoie" flavor and more color.


Shhhh.....my "illegal" addition.


Don't tell the others......


And here we have the finished product and it was very, very good, if I say so myself. Also, there is enough left over to freeze for future use. YAY!

I also made cinnamon kuchen from a recipe a friend gave me. I have a recipe for kuchen from my grandmother and I need to look it up and try that one also.


Anything that starts off with butter and sugar can't be all bad!






Making the cinnamon topping, more butter and sugar, I'm lovin' it!!!


Topping on and ready to go in the oven. I find that putting parchment paper in the pan first keeps it from sticking and I can just pull the whole thing out when it's done and cut it.


Cooled and cut. While there may be a lot of butter and sugar in the kuchen, I only eat a piece every so often.....usually on Sunday mornings...everything in moderation.


Today, I made these chocolate, chocolate chip, white chocolate chip cookies, an online recipe. Very, very good. 

Now that I've made everybody hungry, it's time to go to bed!!

And remember, if anyone can solve my bok choy dilemma, please let me know.


Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment