Saturday, June 22, 2013

Good Ol' Summertime

I love it, the heat and humidity, bring it on. I have to soak up as much heat as I can before next winter. And the heat is finally here, 90's all this coming week. YAY!


Lola, not so much. She hogs the air conditioning vent in the kitchen when I'm working in there. Sometimes a little......


Sometimes a lot...Lola is no fan of the heat.

It's the weekend so I'm doing some cooking....or at least throwing some stuff together. Yesterday I made limeade, love that stuff.




I'm using honey to make the simple syrup instead of sugar. It's local honey and makes the drink a little more nutritious. One cup of water, bring to a boil, turn down heat, add 1/2 cup honey then stir to dissolve and let cool.


Then add 3/4 cup of freshly squeezed lime juice and 4 cups of water. So very refreshing.


The limeade will have a honey-color for obvious reasons. My son won't drink it because of that but of course he would rather cut off a limb than to eat anything that might be good for him.


My lettuce is growing like crazy, I keep cutting some off to use and it just keeps growing, I love it!


I made a wrap for lunch today. The lettuce is from my garden, the green onion is from my Mom's garden and the carrots are from the store.


I spread some sour cream on a tortilla added a couple of slices of ham then loaded on the veggies. The big question was going to be whether I was going to be able to actually wrap all this up.


I did it and without anything squirting out of either end. Even if I have to say so myself, it was tasty along with some limeade.

On another note, I've been growing herbs but I wasn't aware that oregano was a perennial. My gardener friend at work informed me that I could plant it into the ground and it would grow into a nice size bush. I would have never guessed it.


So there it is. I'm so glad to know that I will be able to have oregano all year around. Such a nice surprise. I just hope I can keep the dog from running over it when she runs along the fence barking at people. I put the rocks there hopefully it will give her a clue to keep off.

Tomorrow I am going to make a peanut butter pie, a recipe from one of my favorite cooks, The Pioneer Woman. I will definitely let you know how it turns out.

I'm going out for margaritas now........

Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment