Saturday, April 20, 2013

Seeds..Seeds..Seeds...

I've gotten the official word, well, not me personally, it's time to plant some seeds. Our local gardening expert was on the radio last week and said now is a good time to plant seeds in our area. Planting tomato transplants or peppers really cannot be done until the first week or two in May, in our area, because the chance of frost is about over. As a matter of fact, after it being in the 80's last week, the past two days it has rained and gotten a lot colder. Sleet was even reported in some areas of town and last night there was a danger of frost. But we're warming up again today.

I've received several seed catalogs in the mail and I have narrowed it down to two that I want to use. Both sell non-GMO seeds and are totally involved in saving seeds and have taken a pledge in favor of both of those ideals.







This catalog even shows you how to save tomato seeds.





I do want to say that I know my photography skills aren't the best in the world, but be assured that I am working on that. So if some of the pictures here are not as good as they could be, hopefully in time I will remedy that problem!






This is my other favorite catalog and I am going to order some heirloom tomato transplants from it. Ahh, just the thought of some homegrown tomatoes has me weak in the knees.

I've decided to only plant a few things this year just to see how it goes, if I have a "green thumb" or not. I do plan on growing some herbs. It will be nice to just go out on my deck and pick some herbs for whatever I'm cooking.

Here are a few other things that I am ordering from the catalogs:



Doesn't that lettuce mix look yummy?




Sorry about the quality of that picture, but this is baby bok choy. I love some bok choy, sauted in a skillet.




This would be planted to come in this Fall. I love some roasted brussel sprouts!





The tomatoes with the blue ribbon are the transplants I want to buy. They are Italian Heirloom. My mouth is watering.

I promise I will work on my photography skills :-)


Happy planting!!


Kathy

























No comments:

Post a Comment