Sunday, April 14, 2013

Enlightenment

It's widely known, well at least among people I know, that I have always, always absolutely positively loathed yard work, cutting grass in particular. I've always liked a pretty yard, but I just didn't want to do it. But this year it just seems different. I raked and cut the grass this weekend and I actually didn't hate it. Now I'm not going to dance a jig everytime I have to cut the grass, but I have a new, enlightened attitude about it.

I love being outside on a nice, warm day, I don't mind getting dirty and I just feel different about it this year. I don't know if it's my new outlook about all things natural or what. The one thing that did just about send me over the edge was my weedeater stopped working. The weeds had almost grown a foot overnight after the rain so I had to weed eat before I even tried to cut the grass. Then later I wanted to weed eat another area and it wouldn't come on. I thought maybe it had just overheated from all the work. But I kept trying and finally it came on and I finished. But today when I got it out it wouldn't come on at all. It took everything in me not to heave it across the yard. Sometimes it just seems like whenever I'm around electrical or electronic things something happens to them. My solution for now is to not think about it for a while and maybe it will magically start up next time.

Earlier in the year I had considered mowing my grass with the pushmower I have. But as much as I would like to use it, after cutting grass this weekend, I've decided it just wouldn't be much of an option. My backyard is so uneven, with lots of ruts where I had a large tree cut down not long after I moved in. I would never be able to get a good, even cut. Also, my son will be cutting the grass quite often this summer and he would refuse to use it so I think I'm going to have to give up on the idea......for now anyway. I do hate to put those emissions out into the air, but sometimes you just have to choose your battles.

Remember I had talked about getting an easy recipe to make homemade bread? I got my camera out today, ready to take lots of pictures of some yummy bread. Well, that was a complete and utter failure!! I don't know what I did wrong. The dough didn't rise the first time but I went ahead and kneaded it again and put it into the loaf pans for the second rising, zero...zip...nada....didn't rise again. Since I had invested all the ingredients into the dough I went on and put the loaves in the oven hoping by some miracle that they would magically bake into bread. But nope, after baking they came out of the oven looking just as raw as when they went in.

Tomorrow I'm going to ask my friend, who gave me the recipe, to help me figure out what I did wrong. I was so looking forward to some nice homemade bread. The recipe seemed so easy. Dang it!!

Tomorrow is a new day and more challenges await.......


Kathy



No comments:

Post a Comment