Sunday, March 17, 2013

Bi-Polar Weather Goddess

I've had a bad week, nothing major, just incredibly tired. Go to bed tired and wake up just as tired. Now granted, on weekdays I don't usually get a full 8 hours of sleep, but 6 hours or so will usually suffice.
I can usally catch up on the weekend. But this week I have just felt drained. I couldn't even post anything, because I was dozing off as soon as I hit the couch every evening. I thought maybe my blood pressure had dropped too low, which has happened in the past, but it was fine. I wasn't coming down with any illness, no obvious extra physical exertion and no more than the usual stresses.


Of course we did change to Daylight Savings Time last Saturday, and people were telling me that was probably my problem. I'm not so sure, I've never noticed that I feel the time change either in spring or fall. Losing one hour of sleep might slightly affect me on that first morning, but after that, I really don't think so.

My diagnosis is that the bi-polar weather is causing my problems. In the summer it's hot and humid and dry, my favorite weather, then fall rolls around and the weather starts gradually cooling off, my second favorite season, then winter and it's expected the weather is cold and dreary, my least favorite season. But spring, spring makes me crazy. I'm so anxious for warm weather and the weather goddess just keeps teasing and teasing me. Last Saturday and Sunday was warm and sunny, absolutely delightful. Then during the week, it started cooling off and raining, again, off and on. Yesterday it was sunny and 70+ degrees and today it is doing a combination of rain, sleet and snow, all day and the temp is in the 30's. It's just driving me crazy.

I am tired of being cold. I am cold natured anyway and in the winter I am cold 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, no matter where I'm at, home, work or outside. I am so ready to be warm again. Also, I'm so anxious to start planting my small garden but the weather will just not cooperate. If it's not cold then it's raining. My body needs some heat and humidity.

So to soothe myself I cooked and baked yesterday. Cooking, without being rushed, is soothing for me. I made homemade biscuits. I made biscuits before, always with mixed results. Some come out flat, or hard as a hockey puck, pale not golden, or not very tasty. I am proud to say that the recipe I used yesterday was it, they came out perfect, risen, fluffy and golden, and they tasted great. I was so pleased with myself. Of course I ate two of them, with jam, as soon as they came out of the oven. This morning I made homemade white gravy to put over my biscuits. Not the most healhful breakfast, but it sure was good on the cold, rainy Sunday.



I also believe that homemade food, even biscuits and gravy are better for you, in moderation as an occasional treat, than heavily processed and factory made biscuits and gravy. While trying to live sustainably, I try to use local products whenever I can. (local meaning not across the street, but from a farm or source within 100 miles or so) My buttermilk, butter and lard was from local sources. The flour from the grocery store, although there is a local sourse for the flour but I haven't tried that yet.

Here is hoping that I am rejuvenated this week. Spring starts Wednesday and I am hopeful the weather will eventurally turn in my favor, please.


Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment