Saturday, February 23, 2013

Get Ready..Set........

I am just busting at the seams to get started growing something. Just the thought of growing some of my own food will be fabulous. I've got lots of ideas rolling around in my head from things I've read and pictures of different gardening styles on various websites that I just want to get started. As I was out shopping on Friday I came across these.



I went ahead a bought them even though it's not quite time to plant them. But according to the package the time frame for planting in my zone is March thru May, so I thought, what the heck, March is only one week away, right?  I was going to plant them in a small  pot for a few weeks until it seemed safer to plant outside. Although it says that these varieties of raspberries and blueberries are pretty hardy even in colder climates. So after some thought I decided to put them in a large container that I've had outside for several years and if they don't survive until the weather gets a little warmer it will be a learning experience. Also, I haven't gotten my seed catalogs in the mail yet and I also hope to do some plant shopping in April so I  have time to plant.










I realize that they should not be planted like this, but I am just trying to keep them alive, they were already drooping in the plastic bag and box that they were in. Of course, tonight I covered them because the temperature is going below freezing. Tomorrow it will be sunny and in the 50's so hopefully that will help. I know it's a longshot, but I wanted to try and if this little experiment fails I'll know better next time.





Lola was mighty interested in what I was planting.




I think Lola is hoping it is squirrel bait so she can chase them.







My lovely niece works at this plant food company, Monty's, and she gave me all this wonderful plant food for my birthday. She tells me it is all natural and easy to use so how can I go wrong with my garden. Hopefully we have an early spring this year like we did last year.

I'm going to switch subjects here and gripe about something. I've been wanting a bike to ride for exercise, go on quick errands and during the summer ride to work, good for me and good for the environment. I want one of those "cruiser" bikes, the ones with the wider tires, pedal brakes and most importantly a wider seat and not that 2" stripe of hard leather that is on most bikes! 

I saw several bikes yesterday, within my price range that would have been perfect except......the color. I'm a grown woman and I don't want a bright pink bike with white flowers on it, or a bright purple one with curly cues on it. I thought I found one, it was white, not really what I wanted, but I could live with it. But....it had teal pedals, teal on the wheel rims and a paisley seat. No, no, no. Isn't there a bike, in a more muted color without flowers or curley cues or paisley? Jeez, I just want a plain bike, maybe with a basket, is that too much to ask? I'm going to keep looking, but it's making me crazy.




Lola say Happy Gardening (and good luck!)


Kathy




No comments:

Post a Comment