Saturday, November 3, 2012

A "Hairy" Situation

My hair and I have a love/hate relationship, or maybe I should say a tolerate/hate relationship. I want long, thick, naturally curly hair. A wild mane that would be uncontrollable and hard to tame. Hair that people all over would envy and covet. But........alas, I have fine, straight, short hair. Nothing that anyone would covet.

I usally keep my hair short, I feel like it is more flattering to me, but mostly because I'm lazy. I hate to mess with my hair and I don't have time before work in the morning to do anything special to it. This way I can wash my hair at night when I take a shower and in the morning I just have to run a comb or my fingers through it....and I'm done.

But every once in a while I get a hankering to grow it out, not particularly long, maybe just to the collar and all one length. Of course if I did that it would then involve "fixing" everyday. And everytime I try to grow it out, it gets to that certain length where it drives you crazy. Hair is hanging in my eyes, not laying right or just plain looking like a big mess. I have a fantastic hairdresser, Tim, who has tried to help me when I have decided at times to grow my hair out by keeping it trimmed up and giving me different products to use, but then it gets to that certain point and I go in and tell him to cut it all off!!

Everytime I start thinking about changing my hair, I become a "hair stalker". I start looking at everyone's hair, trying to find a style that I like or that looks easy to take care of.  I've even, in the past, asked several people if I could take a picture of just their hair to use as a reference. But I think my biggest problem is I'm not really sure what hairstyle looks best on me. I like my short hairstyle, but I'm always afraid it's not feminine enough and I feel the need to always wear earrings when my hair is short. But if I grow it out I don't want to look like a hot mess either.

So here I am, contemplating a change again and unsure which way to go.  I really envy the African American women who can wear their hair practically shaved off and look fantastic. Maybe I should just shave my head and wear a wig. Maybe I should just keep my hair short and use products to "poof" it up, although I'm not really a "poofy" kinda gal. Is there a better way to style my hair than the ol' let it fall where it may system?

I know there are bigger things in the world to concern myself with, the aftermath of epic storms, important elections, terrorists running amok across the globe. But really, think about it, if a woman is not happy with her hair then no one is going to be happy. 

Kathy  

No comments:

Post a Comment