Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Election 2012

I have deliberately not weighed in on the Presidential election on any social media sights. It seems the vehemence with which people discuss the candidates they disagree with has reached an all time low. Yes, I'm glad people are passionate about what they believe in, but the name calling and personal attacks coming from each side is both distasteful and childish. Plus the fact that anyone who has professed to be undecided must be an idiot, brainless, a fool or have no love of their country.

Well, guess what, I have been one of those demonized "undecided" voters......until last weekend. I take my right to vote very seriously and while I am a member of a particular party, I always vote for the person NOT the party. I have no qualms about voting for the other side if I believe in the other candidate and in what their plans are for the country. I took a long time to decide because I wanted to make sure I was comfortable with my choice no matter who wins.

Do I think that Mitt Romney is an evil capitalist who plans on sending all our jobs our of the country? No, I don't. Do I think he wants to destroy Social Security and Medicare? No, I don't. 

Do I think Barack Obama is trying to destroy this country? No, I don't. Do I think he wants to destroy the healthcare industry? No, I don't.

Of course if you vote for one man, you're labeled a racist and if you vote for the other man, you're not a Christian. COME ON NOW......really.......really?

Call me naive, but I do believe both men just have different visions of what they want this country to be and achieve. I also believe that any candidate can have plans for what they want to accomplish and depending on the make-up of the Congress and what I like to call "that big book of secrests" that each President hands off to the next, they may have to alter their vision.  There is a lot more going on that they don't know about until they are behind that desk.

I studied the issues that both men believed in. There are issues on the right that I believe in and about the same number of issues on the left that I agree with.  So it came down to three issues that stood out and even two of them I could go either way. So now I'm down to one issue and it's one that I am passionate about and that is how I will be placing my vote. Do I have doubts, sure, but feel I have made my decision based on issues and not by party or popularity.  So remember, just because someone is "undecided" doesn't mean they aren't carefully weighing the issues and coming to an informed decision.

Tomorrow morning, no matter the winner, I will respect our President, even though I may not agree with everything he does.  I will also pray that he does the job to the best of his ability and for the good the country. And remember, if you don't agree, the beauty of our way of government is we can work towards finding and electing a different man/woman in four more years.


Kathy



No comments:

Post a Comment