Saturday, November 16, 2013

Reboot

It's been two weeks since I've been on here, I've just been really unsettled. First there was the break-in at my house. After that "violation" of my sanctuary, I felt disconnected from the whole experience. Yes, I was angry, feeling violated, upset etc. But I felt oddly disconnected.

I was coming to terms with the whole incident, then earlier this week my Mom was mugged and her purse stolen right on her own front porch. She had just returned from the grocery and was getting ready to unlock her front door when a woman ran into her fenced yard and pulled her purse away from her and knocking her down in the process. She hit her head on the concrete but it wasn't bad, just left her with a small knot on her head.

Luckily, they caught the girl just yesterday and she admitted to my Mom's mugging and two others. She would follow these elderly ladies home from the grocery and then steal their purses, One lady broke her shoulder when she was pulled down and the other was knocked down and kicked.

After my Mom's mugging, I started to feel like you couldn't be safe anywhere, in your home, your yard or just going to the store. Everyone walking down the street made me suspicious, I was constantly looking around to see if anyone was following me. I felt like I should carry all my valuables with me because they might not be safe at home, but then again, I could be mugged anywhere. I was starting not to feel safe no matter where I was. I was starting to really, really stress out and be on edge all the time.

So I've decided to give myself a (imaginary) slap in the face and say "SNAP OUT OF IT". I can't go around being afraid and distrustful all the time. Yes, I will be more aware of my surroundings, but I'm not going to let it make me on edge.

While the people who broke in my house may never be caught, the news that my Mom's mugger was caught gave me the little shove I needed to stop obsessing about it.

So Friday night I wallowed in it for a while and ate a big bowl of  homemade popcorn with lots and lots of real butter and a coke for dinner and watched some trashy TV.



This morning I decided what I needed was something joyful. So I decided to start decorating for Christmas. I don't usually do it til the weekend after Thanksgiving, but I am starting early this year, just because I can. Now, I probably won't put up the tree until after Thanksgiving, but today I took my dishes down to the basement and got out my Christmas dishes and coffee mugs. I love my Christmas dishes. Tomorrow I'm going to get out my little Christmas village and set it up and put my wreath on the door and who knows what else. It's already made me feel better. I can't wait to light my pine scented candles and get out my collection of Santas. It's just what I needed.



I'm including this picture of a tree that I can see from my office. I find it fascinating how the leaves that have turned for Autumn are in three different colors. And they stay that way, they don't gradually all turn one color. They stay 3  distinct colors until they fall off. I just think it's interesting.



Here's to better times ahead and lots of good cooking.


Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment