Sunday, November 3, 2013

Ahhh..Sunday Cookin'

This is the first Sunday in a while that I feel like I can do what I really want to do, cook something. Last weekend was...well, I think you remember what last weekend was all about..security. Although, I did cook Sunday before last, but it seems like is was a lot longer than that. I guess that it was stress does to a person.

Today I am making some Chipotle Chicken Chili, a recipe from the tastykitchen.com website. It's a wonderful resource for recipes. It's in association with thepioneerwoman.com blog. This chili really looks good and while I like my own chili recipe, which I will share on here soon, I wanted to switch it up a bit and this fit the bill.


Here are the players for this soup/chili.


This is the finished product and I must say, it has a little "zing" to it. Yummy, here is the recipe.


2 tbl of olive oil
1 whole onion diced
4 cloves of garlic minced
2 lbs of boneless chicken breasts
1 (12 oz) bottle of good beer
1 can of diced tomatoes (I had crushed tomatoes so I used those)
3 whole chipotle peppers in adobo sauce minced
1 can of kidney beans
1can of black beans
1can of pinto beans
(I just used the black and pinto beans, I found that two cans would be plenty)
1 tbl chili powder
1 tbl ground cumin
1tsp salt
1/4 cup of masa (corn flour, it can be found in the Hispanic section of the grocery)
1 lime


Heat olive oil in pot, add onions and sauté for several minutes, then add garlic and stir for a minute or two.


Meanwhile, dice the chicken into whatever size you want, I cut mine into medium size pieces. (L.R., this picture is for you.)


Then add chicken to onions and garlic and cook til just browned. Add 3/4 of the beer to the chicken mixture and let cook for about 10 minutes.


Chop up the peppers, drain and rinse the beans and then add the peppers, beans, tomatoes, chili powder, cumin and salt to the pot. Cover and let simmer for 1 hour.


Then you take the 1/4 cup of masa and stir in the remaining beer. Add this to the pot and stir, it will thicken it and give a very subtle corn taste. Also, squeeze the lime into the soup. Let it simmer for about 10 more minutes and serve. The recipe suggests serving with sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, chopped cilantro and lime wedges.

I grew up eating chili with peanut butter sandwich/crackers but I'm stepping  out of my box and using the shredded cheese and if I'm really adventurous, I'll use a little sour cream.

I really like chili, it is spicy and is quite different from any chili I have ever made before. Now I have to give some to my special taste tester and get her review of it.

Autumn is in the air.....


Kathy









No comments:

Post a Comment