Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Two Steps Forward....One Step...Sideways

How do you measure progress, is it how much you accomplish, how many things you can change or is it the fact that a seed has been planted and now we tend it as it grows?  Probably all of the above. But in my particular case as I strive to live more sustainably, I would have to say that the last one applies to me. I've planted the seeds of what I am learning and I have to take care of them til they take root and grow.

I wanted to let you in on my progress so far. I have to say that recycling has been my biggest success. I am pleased to report that I have almost doubled the amount in my bins. I've learned that a few of the items I use to recycle didn't belong, like those waxy frozen food boxes, medicine bottles and yogurt containers. But I have taken the time to rinse out the glass containers that maple syrup comes in,  cooking oil bottles and bring my laundry detergent boxes up from the basement when empty. I've picked gatorade bottles out of my son's wastebasket in his room. I've rinsed cans and bottles and dog food containers and saved old foil and recycled it all.  Honestly, there are times I just want to throw something away, especially if it's greasy or hard to clean, but then my conscience starts talking to me and I get with the program.  I know I still have work to do, like buying products that come in containers that can be recycled, plus buying things in less packaging. Baby steps.

I've been making some headway in the area of reusing. Last week as I was throwing out some stale bread (if it had been summer I would have put the bread out for the birds, but this time of year all I would attract is possums and raccoons) I started to throw away the bag, then I had a V8 moment. Wow, I could save this bag and use it for my dog's business when we go walking, that way I wouldn't have to get the plastic bags from the supermarket. I'm a little slow sometimes!  So now I'm saving those bags to reuse. I also buy these frozen rolls that my son likes and in the past I've always thrown out the aluminum pan they come in along with the plastic bag that covers it. Now, I've been saving the bags for the dog and the pans to use in some of my own baking and when they wear out I can put them in the recycle bin.

Now, what to do about the plastic bags that I put my produce in at the grocery store? I haven't yet found something like a lightweight cotton or mesh bag to use for that. So last week I did put some produce in the plastic bags, but I am proud to say that when I got home, I carefully removed the produce, rinsed out the bags and I will take them with me on my next trip to the store and reuse them as many times as I can, until they fall apart. I have to say that I was kind of proud of myself for figuring that out. Eventually, I hope to have my own reusable bags just for that, but at least I'm reusing!

Now I have to admit my failure.....the dreaded paper towels. I just cannot get a handle on it, they are so easy to grab to wipe up a mess. Oh and the dog with muddy feet everyday, lord help me, I'll grab paper towels before I can even stop myself. And I like to wipe up the kitchen counter with my homemade mixture of water and bleach with a wet paper towel and then toss in the garbage. Whether true or not, I feel like it's more sanitary. I must find an alternative, And I also have to admit....shhhhh....that sometimes I don't even feel guilty when I use them. This is going to be a hard addiction to beat, but I will press on and hopefully have better news in my next progress report....maybe....surely.

So that is my progress so far, and I feel pretty good about it, especially since it's only been one month since I've been trying to be more mindful of my impact on this earth. Well, I've always been aware of what I should do, but now I'm trying to put it into practice. Remember.....recycle and reuse!!


Kathy



No comments:

Post a Comment