Saturday, December 29, 2012

Change Is A'Comin

There was quite a bit of talk the last few months about the end of the world, supposedly predicted by the Mayans. Well, obviously that proved to be untrue, or was it. There's now been talk that maybe what the Mayans really meant was that 12/21/12 was the end of an era and that a new era was about to begin. That whole idea has really intrigued me, kind of like a fresh start, a do over. We don't get many of those and we should take advantage of it if it does happen.

I've been thinking for a while now, but especially the last few weeks, of what I want to do and/or be in this "new era". Are there things I want to accomplish? Are there aspects of my life that I want to change or work on? What do I want my priorites to be?  Do I try to incorporate the things that I think are important into my everyday life?

There are things that I am passionate about, animals, the destruction of our natural resources and wild habitats. I also feel very strongly about our food system, the abuse of our food animals, the way a lot of our food is grown, using pesticides and chemicals, processed foods and "frankenfoods", which is another name for GMOs, genetically modified foods. I'm a great believer in local food, farmers markets and urban gardens
and organic foods. I am even thinking of starting a small garden this spring.

I am also interested in living a more sustainable life, reuse, recycle and restore, green energy. I read a small article a few weeks ago about a woman who at the end of a year, only had a lunchbag of garbage for the whole year. She recycled everything and when she went to the grocery, if the packaging of something she wanted couldn't be recycled, she didn't buy it but made the food homemade instead. She wrote a blog about it and I wanted to check it out but I misplaced the article, dang it. I also like the idea of buying gifts in local shops and businesses.

Is this a way I can live my life 100% of the time, probably not, but if I can incorporate some of these ideals into my everyday life I will happy. Some of the things will be easy, I do recycle, I do try to frequent farmer's markets. But some things may be a little harder to always accomplish, but I want to do my best to try. Will I always be successful, probably not, but it will be a learning experience for me and hopefully for you.

Starting next week, I will be changing the focus of my blog to chronicle my attempt to make some of these changes. The blog name will still be the same, but just a more defined subject matter. I hope everyone who has been a regular reader enjoys it and I welcome new visitors. Maybe I can teach you something and if you have an idea please leave a comment and let me know what you think or give me ideas.

Here's to a new era!


Kathy






3 comments:

  1. Seems like this article might interest you: http://earth911.com/news/2011/04/13/zero-waste-johnson-family/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not big on resolutions, because I seem to have such a hard timemaking them happen. But my main one this year is to get in the habit of using resuable bags. I like what the focus of your blog is going to be and I have decided to become a follower!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Emily, thanks, that was helpful and informative. @Kim, thanks so much for for finding and following me. Maybe we can teach each other along the way. I try to use reusale bags also, but sometimes I get lazy.....

    ReplyDelete