Friday, July 27, 2012

Fifty Shades

ALERT...ALERT...In this post I am discussing THE BOOK, Fifty Shades of Grey. Although I will NOT be revealing the ending, or any of the plot, I will just be discussing how I feel about the the main characters, Christian and Ana. So if you are reading this book or will be reading it you may not want to read this post although I am not going to reveal anything.

As you have heard, this book has a lot of sex in it, and it is pretty essential to the character's relationship. The only thing that I'm going to say about it is that it wore me out. As far as I am concerned to each his own, whatever people want to do in the privacy of their own bedroom, between consenting adutlts, more power to you. I just know that some of it would have put me in traction.

The most disturbing thing to me was the relationship between Christian and Ana. Ana is always worried that she has made Christian mad. Is Christian mad? I hope he's not mad? He's going to be mad at me? I hate when he's mad, and on and on and on. She is continuously wringing her hands, knotting her fingers in her lap, not telling him how she really feels about things, never asking him about all the secrets he keeps.

He never wanted her to go out with her friends, have men friends, or even to work. When she was away from him, there was constant phone calls and emails about where she was, who she was with and of course he would be mad and she would be worried about him being mad. It seems she was always having to ask his permission to do anything or go anywhere. Even though she had a strong personality, she always followed his wishes, his instructions, his rules.

Now I know that some of his ways were due to trauma suffered in his childhood, but it just made me crazy. I wanted to just yell at her "for God's sake, grow a spine and say what you mean and quit worrying about him getting mad!!!!". He really didn't like for her to go anywhere without him, so he could protect her. Now there was a point in the story that she needed protection, but he was like that before that event happened.

I wonder if young women or women who are low on self esteem would take this type of relationship as the norm? This is a very popular book, would they think this is how a relationship works. Will they think that they always have to bend to their partners will? Will they think they can't express their opinion, have friends of their own, go out without their partners?

You may think that I didn't like the book, but I did. I read all three books and it really did have a good plot to it and the story is much more than what I discussed here. I just discussed one part of it that bothered me.
I would recommend it for others to read, but............FOR GOD'S SAKE STOP WRINGING YOUR HANDS AND SPEAK UP!!!!

Kathy

2 comments:

  1. I don't plan on reading the books, and Ana being.so spineless would definitely be a turn off for me, no pun intended.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's odd because when she wasn't with Christian she was an independent, smart, capable womam able to take care of herself. I wish they had written her relationship like that.

    ReplyDelete